I had signed up to attend, but ended up missing, the Nuxeo roadmap session. But my customers come first and I had to take of a few time-sensitive issues. C'est la vie. The session is up on the site so at least I could watch after-the-fact. Apart from what I have previously written about with respect to DAM, I had some more general questions about the future of Nuxeo that I would have liked to ask. At least one was answered during the webinar and another touched on briefly.
- There are many third party libraries that are part of Nuxeo. Some of these libraries are fairly old (in technology terms) and I think they need to be updated much more frequently. Libaries for PDF, image manipulation, metadata extraction, and more need regular updates. I would like to know when/if these will become part of the regular hotifx / release cycle.
- Integration of Studio and IDE with full two-way engineering. The ability to move back and forth between the environments would have great value. It looks as though 5.6 will start down the path but I will have to wait and see whether there is value in the initial offering.
- Whether on premise or in the cloud, performance is of critical concern - especially with huge digital assets. I would like to know specifics on plans to improve overall imaging and asset management performance.
- Nothing specific in mind, but I would like to see fewer error pages popping up in the application. And when they do it would be nice to have a way to return to the context prior to the application cacking. Just wondering if there is any work under way to tighten up and improve error handling.
- More into the future - any thoughts or plans to support any NoSQL database variants?
I was glad to see more work in the mobile space as this is critical in my opinion to delivering focused, effective content applications to users regardless of where they are!
Hopefully I get a chance to attend the next roadmap session.